St Matthews Church
'In An English Country Garden'
Concert by the Invicta Wind Orchestra will be performed at St Matthew's Church on Saturday 8th July at 7pm, full details on the News & Events page
Warehorne is part of the Benefice of the Saxon Shoreline which includes the villages of Aldington, Bilsington, Bonnington, Hamstreet, Kenardington, Orlestone, Ruckinge, Snave and Warehorne.
St Matthew’s stands upon the Old Saxon shoreline overlooking the expanse of Romney Marsh.
The original structure was built around circa 1200 although The Domesday book (1086 A.D.) mentions a church at Warehorne but the present church shows no sign of Saxon or Norman work.
Following a lightning strike in 1770 the original tower was destroyed and in 1777 it was rebuilt in brick rather than stone to match the rest of the church.
Further information on the history of St Matthew's and the Church Bells is available on the following church pages